Monday, February 16, 2015

Breaking News: I'm Engaged!!

As I was looking at the recent blog post I have made I realized that I hadn't written anything about breaking the news to my family and friends. I wanted to share that part because I think it's important. Not because I am super girly and I want to go into detail how my girlfriends and I broke down and started crying and planning my wedding ASAP. But because it was a hard thing to tell people because of what their reaction would be.

As most of you know I grew up LDS and served a Spanish speaking mission in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (Best mission in the world by the way) So you can now understand why I was not really looking forward to telling people I was marrying a non-member and not getting married in the temple. I worked up the courage and finally called my Mom and let me just say my Mom is amazing. I just spilled it all out and she listened and she asked " Does he love you? Does he respect you?" I told her "Yes" and she said "That's all I need to know." Other people where not as kind, some reacted as if I had just told them I had cancer. 

I think for this reason I wanted to post this because I think it's important for us to follow the rule of "If you don't have nothing nice to say don't say nothing at all" I found myself having to explain and sometimes justify why I was marrying Brian. The same people didn't even bother to ask about Brian but all they focused on him not being a member. Let us be kind to each other and think before we speak.

No comments:

Post a Comment